The following quiz helps you identify weak spots in your estate planning. For many people an estate plan just means a will, but oftentimes that is not enough to accomplish the goals you have or to protect your loved ones. Honestly answering these 8 questions will help you know if your plan needs more work.
- How old is your will? (Changing life circumstances, such as marriages, divorces, etc. can impact old wills.)
- Who would manage your finances if you had a stroke?
- Is your legal and financial information organized and easy to find?
- Do you know whether your estate would avoid probate court? (A time-consuming and expensive process.)
- Do you know whether you will owe estate taxes?
- If you have an IRA or Annuity, do you know when (or if) your family will have to pay taxes on it?
- If something happened to you tomorrow, would your family know what to do?
- Are your loved ones (kids, grandkids, etc.) as good with money as you are?
If you don’t know the answers to some of these questions, it’s time to learn more about effective estate planning.
Here are some next action steps to take:
- Explore our website. Our website is here to be an educational resource to anyone who wants to learn more about effective estate planning. We are passionate about helping people plan because we see the good that can come of it when it’s done properly, and, unfortunately, we see everyday the heartbreak that ineffective (or no) planning can cause.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter. Our bi-weekly newsletter aims to help people learn more about planning and learn more about Edwards Group. Through this weekly email we share insights and stories about proper planning and why it’s so important. We also know that trust is vital in forming a strong relationship with our clients, so we help people get to know us by sharing things like vacation pics from David’s latest family trip.
- Attend a free workshop. Education is a core foundation of Edwards Group, so in addition to our website and e-newsletter, attending a free workshop is another great way to learn more about effective planning. Our current workshop is Aging With Confidence: 9 Keys to Wise Planning & Peace of Mind.
- Get started today. If you’re ready to jump right in and get started, all you have to do is call us and schedule an Initial Meeting with an attorney. At the Initial Meeting, we will review your concerns and goals, then the attorney will help you understand the unique risks facing your family. Call 217-726-9200 and one of our team members will happy to help you get started.
- Hope things will just work out. This is, frankly, the easiest thing to do, and sadly, the worst thing you can do for your family. Estate plans aren’t really about you and what happens when you die. They are about what type of life your family will have after you’re gone. Procrastination is the greatest threat to protecting your family. We have designed our process to make it as easy as possible for people to take the next step, but we can’t pick up the phone for you… If the unthinkable happens, will your lack of planning make things harder on your family?
As always, we’re just a phone call away. If you’re unsure of what your next step should be, or even if you need a next step, we’d be happy to chat with you on the phone. Just give us a call at 217-726-9200. We are passionate about helping families just like yours, and it is all we do everyday.