Have you just lost a loved one?
On top of the grieving and loss, there are legal and financial details to deal with. Sometimes a lot of details. Where do you turn for help? We regularly work with families to address these challenges after losing a loved one. Here are examples of ways we help:
For the deceased’s family we:
- Review and help interpret a Last Will & Testament or Trust left behind by the deceased.
- Help carry out the wishes stated in the trust, including transfers of assets, cashing in life insurance, and working with financial advisors and accountants.
- Handle any court probate that may be necessary to transfer the assets.
- Give objective advice about important financial decisions to be made.
- Assist family members in coming to a resolution regarding a family business or farm.
For beneficiaries of the deceased we:
- Advise if they are confused or have concerns about how the estate is being handled by another family member.
- Help administer inheritance trusts required in the Will or Trust left by the deceased.
- Evaluate the impact of a coming inheritance on a beneficiary’s income tax liability or college financial aid funding, and determine strategies to address them.
If your family is facing the loss of a loved one and facing the stress of legal and financial hurdles as a result, call us today at 217-726-9200. We will be happy to hear more about your situation and guide you in setting up an attorney appointment or telephone conference to see how we can help.
Read More about Probate
Things can be quite overwhelming when a loved one passes away. Here are a couple of checklists to help you know what needs to be done immediately and what can wait. Feel free to download and print out the checklist on our Resources page. If you need immediate help,...
Being an executor is a big responsibility. One that requires great integrity and diligence. Many people will only experience this role once or twice in their life, and it can be a bit daunting. Here are 7 things for you to consider prior to the funeral: What were the...
A recent survey on estate planning showed that 53% of respondents said it's difficult to find an advisor they trust. We understand how hard it is to choose an estate planning attorney. After years of working with many, many clients, we feel pretty good about knowing...